How to Be Single During the Holidays and Love It
When my mom recently texted me a photo of the ornaments she purchased for my sister and her live-in boyfriend (lovely metallic globes with their initials in glittery letters), I started to wallow in my singledom. Another holiday season spent single, I thought. But before I let my mind snowball out of control, I reminded myself that I’m a 30-something woman who is happy and healthy. So what if I’m spending the holiday season by myself?
As it turns out, I’m not alone. There are plenty of single people who enjoy the holidays because of their freedom, not despite it. So if anyone tries to make me feel bad about it, I have two words for them: Bah humbug! I don’t need a significant other to have the best holidays ever, and neither do you. Here’s how to not only be okay being single during the holidays but how to actually enjoy being single during the holidays, along with 25 reasons as to why it’s actually awesome.
1. You don’t have to split time between someone else’s family and yours. You can do whatever you want from Thanksgiving through New Year’s.
2. You don’t have to worry about impressing a significant other’s family. That second piece of pumpkin pie? Unbutton your pants and eat it!
3. You won’t have to meet anyone’s parents. Or siblings. Or cousins. Or great-grandmothers.
4. You can plan a solo trip. Feel like going to the beach in Uruguay instead of celebrating the holidays at home? You can do it!
5. There’s no stressing over what to get your better half (and their mom) as a gift. You can use the money that you saved from not having to buy them a gift to do something fabulous for yourself. Book a blowout, buy an expensive bottle of champagne, or treat yourself to a new dress.
6. You can sleep in and do whatever you want while staying in the comfort of your own home.
7. You can make out with whoever you want at the holiday party (within reason).
8. You can decorate your house however you want—wreaths, garlands, disco balls, and all (or none).
9. Lots of single people are out and ready to mingle, so why not take advantage of the celebratory mood in the air? Mingle with other singles at the holiday parties you’ll be attending!
10. You can drink too much eggnog, sing Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas Is You” at the top of your lungs, and pass out in your party dress. The next morning, there will be no one giving you dirty looks for your drunken holiday extravaganza.
By Katie Sweenie VIA The Domain